Sunday, October 2, 2011

Monthly Recap: What I learned in September 2011

This is part of Amber Strocel's monthly "What I learned" link-up.  Go check it out!

1. I need to look at my Camera+ for iPhone photos before making my "What I learned" list each month.  I forgot to include this in last month's learnings:


(In August I learned that the town of Gravenhurst, Ontario is home to the world's largest Muskoka chair.)

2.  Hand, foot, and mouth disease is an awful, awful virus that affects mainly the toddler and preschool set.  I do not wish it on any family.

3.  It's hard to say goodbye to summer, but fall does have some redeeming qualities.  And I was reminded of even more reasons to enjoy it thanks to some wonderful comments on my post about ushering in the fall.

4.  A nice dinner out with girlfriends who've known me since the dawn of time is like slipping into the perfect pair of jeans: comfortable but flattering, and no need to suck in your gut.

5.  If you leave your leg hanging out around a toddler armed with stickers, it may very well end up looking like this:


6.  I joined my first Twitter #wineparty and it did not disappoint.

7.  We invented a new wrestling game we like to call "sandwich" that involves covering Daddy's back in imaginary condiments and sandwich fixings and then jumping on him.  Daddy's favourite part is being allowed to lie down, and Mommy's favourite part is "eating" the Lilah/Daddy sandwich.  You could say the whole thing is just dripping in awesomesauce.

8.  I burned up a wedding dance floor and realized I still have a few moves left in the ol' repertoire.  Also? The Hubs and I can still clean up pretty nicely.  It feels like more work than it used to, but it's worth it.


9.  I found a new female family doctor (mine moved to Ontario about six months after she delivered Lilah) based on the recommendation of a friend, and so far I am quite pleased.  It is such a relief to once again have consistent, reliable, and friendly care at a practice not far from our home.

10.  Sometimes kid-sized trampolines just mysteriously appear in your courtyard. And when they do, you should take it as a gift and let your kid jump to her heart's content.  And if it holds your weight, might as well give it a few bounces yourself.  Heck, you only live once!

I'm also linking up with Stasha at The Good Life for Monday Listicles because, like me, she loves lists that come in sets of ten and she's such a gracious host that she doesn't even mind that I didn't stick to the prompt!

25 comments:

  1. What a great list. You two look lovely. So I could not help but wonder if the sticker jeans was the pair you took out for a spin on the town with the girls :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A #4 are words to live by! Such a great list and that is a great picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one HUGE chair!

    Great lessons! My son was down with HFMD when he was about 2 and it got passed to me after that - I think I got it worse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The trampoline sounds great! I need to get my guys to play the sandwich game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1) I've now learned that those chairs are called Muskoka chairs! ;)

    2) #4 makes me wish I were in Eugene so I could call up my oldest girlfriends and enjoy their solid, supportive company. Of course, one of them just gave birth, so I suspect it wouldn't be quite like the old days--but the same love remains!

    3) Can you make one mysteriously appear in my courtyard? Li'l D's taken to parent-assisted bed-jumping, which makes me wish I had someone to help me get a little soaring in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a totally awesomesauce September! I've been to Gravenhurst, home of the world's largest Muskoka chair. Also, I am frequently covered in stickers - that made me giggle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great recap! You and your hubs look very nice :) And that huge chair is just plain awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lilah is adoraable and so is your list. That chair is unbelievable!!!! Glad to join you from Monday Listicles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @StashaLOL, no, I de-stickered and changed into a dressier pair. It was a casual but chic restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @BarbaraThanks! It was taken on my iPhone, so it's a little grainy but it's definitely a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @KiddothingsOh, yuck! I've heard it's rare for adults to get it, but I now know three who have. There should be a vaccine for this one, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  12. @DebI think in the U.S. they call them Adirondack chairs, but in Ontario, it's Muskoka all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Cookie's MomWoot! Did you ever sit on The Chair?

    ReplyDelete
  14. @AmandaSadly no. I think it was a bit of a drive by. Next time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can relate to #5! Sometimes i wake with stickers on my face!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That Muskoka chair is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What's a twitter #wineparty??

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so glad you got to go out with some friends. AND, I'm glad you joined #wineparty. It was so fun to have you there.

    You and your husband look so adorable and you are absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Janie Ha! That hasn't happened to me YET, but I did arrive to my martial arts class the other day with several stuck to my socks. Ah, motherhood!

    ReplyDelete
  20. @harriet glynnYou'll have to swing by for a photo op the next time you're in Ontario. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. @BrieOnly the best Friday night party on Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  22. @Hopes@Staying Afloat!And you, my dear are one fabulous "Tweetbreaker!" And awww, thanks, I'm blushing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's a great list, Amanda! And yes, you two DO clean up good!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hot mama!
    So...I'm in Ontario and looking for a new female GP...wonder if she ended up practicing nearby.

    ReplyDelete

Comments: I love 'em. Tell me what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...