Sunday, October 10, 2010

On Running for the Cure

Last Sunday I participated in the CIBC Run for the Cure to raise money for the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation.  You may recall my post about why this cause is important to me.

As I joined the throngs walking towards the starting point of the run, I felt that familiar lump in my throat that I got the last time I did the run, years ago.  You know, that feeling of being part of something so much bigger than your everyday worries; something important yet bittersweet.  Standing in a crowd of thousands of people, it would be easy to feel anonymous, but this crowd felt like a community.  We were all there for the same purpose.  I was reminded of that each time I read the "I'm running for..." badge on a fellow runner's shirt, or spotted the pink t-shirt of a survivor.

Thanks to my running buddies, I managed to run the full 5km without wimping out partway through.  But I'm not going to lie, I really wanted to.  It was a case of mind over matter.  However, I think I've figured out why none of my pants fit.  I'm really not in very good shape.  Yes, I managed not to quit, but man were my legs sore for the next two to three days!  I guess the elliptical machine doesn't simulate running as closely as its proponents would have me believe!

Anyway, back to the important, higher-porpose-type stuff.  I am thrilled to report that the $1000 I was able to raise (thanks to my wonderful friends and family) was just a tiny drop in the bucket of the $33 million that was raised across Canada!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: I love 'em. Tell me what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...