Saturday, October 2, 2010

September 2010 Recap

Amber Strocel does a monthly recap and has invited others to play along and link up. So here's what I learned in September:

1.  I finally realized it's best to avoid wearing dark colours when your wee one has a cold.  Otherwise, you will end up with very obvious snotty smears on shoulders and knee areas of your shirts and pants.

2. Wild sockeye salmon is yummy.  But it's even yummier when it comes from a Community Supported Fishery where it is caught in a sustainable manner and comes to our table straight from Skipper Otto himself.

3. Toddlers are like sponges.  They will absorb and regurgitate everything you do - and so the time has come to start being careful about what we do and say.

4. On a Saturday afternoon trip to the Vancouver Aquarium, I learned that Lilah's favourite is the sea otter exhibit.  Mainly because it is cute and furry and reminds her of our cats.  Well, at least, that's what I gathered from her enthusiastic pointing, head-nodding, giggling, and exclamation of "kitty!" every time the otter swam by us.

By the otter tank - unfortunately, the otter was even more camera shy than Lilah.
5. Carpooling is where it's at.  (Don't forget Ride-Share Week in BC coming up October 4-8!)

6. It is going to take me a while to adjust to being back at work.  I've been extremely scattered and absent-minded; losing my phone, forgetting my wallet, misplacing my keys - in short, I feel like I'm losing my mind.  And I've been rather hard on myself about it, because I'm usually relatively together and mentally (if not physically) organized.  But then I started reallly thinking about it, and the truth is that it took me a good six months to adjust to being home every day with Lilah, so it is probably going to take me about the same amount of time to adjust to going to work four days a week.

7. My daughter does an excellent impression of Sue Sylvester, my favourite character on one of my favourite shows of all time.  The Hubs makes fun of me, but I can't help myself, I've always been a sucker for a good song and dance number.

Is it Lilah, or Sue?
8.  I am SO not ready to even think about having a second child, though I originally had expected to be ready by this point.
 
9.  Disco may be poised for a comeback, and Lilah and So You Think You Can Dance Canada appear to be at the forefront of this renaissance.

Disco Lilah
10.  First words are truly a thrilling milestone.  Especially for a speechie mommy like myself.  They're like the gift that keeps on giving - every time Lilah says a new word, I just about burst with pride and excitement.  Her vocabulary now includes the words "kitty" (see overgeneralization of, in number 4 above), "mama," "daddy," "bird," "quack quack," "more," "tickle, tickle," "cracker," "bubbles," "no," and "flower."

5 comments:

  1. Glee rocks. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

    And as for having a second child, I really wasn't ready to contemplate it until my first was 2 years old. But then I was already thinking about a third when my second was like 6 months old. I think it's because second babies are almost always much easier. Welcoming them doesn't throw you for nearly as big of a loop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listening and watching kids acquire words is amazing and I am not even a speechie. This time around we are doing a better job of recording his words as he learns them. With Sarah we didn't and I wish we had. They grow up so fast!

    Great picture of you and Lilah at the aquarium.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the feeling..it is hard to adjust (to work) after being "away" for awhile. So you're not alone..I'm feeling the same way. :P
    If I'm caught..I just say "Mommy's brain.." and come up with the lamest excuses....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Theo has no words yet other than oh oh! I sort of can't wait but now know it's time to get a grip on the , mmm, errr, inappropriate commments.

    Vis a vis carpooling, I have Monday down when I drop Theo of with our downstairs neighbour (FTW!) and work at home. Dropping him of at this FIL's is not ideal. We may need to start bussing, which is more fun for Theo anyway!

    Must go back to the acquarium!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The both of you are so cute!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments: I love 'em. Tell me what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...