Monday, July 9, 2012

Things I Will Miss and Things I Won't

This week we are drawing our inspiration from the great Nora Ephron and writing a list of things we will miss and things we won't.  Of course what comes to mind is not things about life in general - I'm not ready to go there yet - but rather about growing a new life inside my own body. 

Yep, that's right.  Another pregnancy post. 

I plan on making this my last.  (Pregnancy, that is.  I can't promise anything on the post front.  Gotta milk it while it lasts!)  So there are certainly things I will miss.

But I'll start with things I won't miss and get the griping out of the way first:

Unless you are one of those lucky Natalie Portman types, everything gets fat.  And by everything, I mean everything.  Including the parts of you you never expected to get fat. (Ahem, lady bits.)

That shortness of breath; something I have never experienced at any other time in my life.

The fear of miscarriage.

Morning sickness, obviously.

Thought you were done with pads and panty liners since Aunt Flo won't be showing her face for a while? Think again, suckah! You're going to need to keep a stash of panty liners with you at all times.  Your oven may have a bun in it, but that won't stop it from automatically switching into...ummm... "self-cleaning" mode.

Getting up off the couch is a huge production involving a whole lot of grunting and upper body rocking to build up enough momentum.  Gravity and inertia are conspiring against me, making it easier just to stay on the couch.

Which leads me to the subject of weight gain, again. Blerg.  My doctor isn't loving the numbers either.

Early morning wakings caused by paralyzing leg cramps.

Round ligament pain.

Double whammy: simultaneous occurence of the above two items caused by attempting to roll over in bed. 

Ninja kicks to the diaphragm, bladder, intestines, and various other vital organs.

The fact that everyone and their dog feels entitled to comment on your changing body.  When else in life is that considered socially acceptable?  Most people are generous, and a few are overly honest, but it still catches me off guard every time.

The difficulty of choosing names.  The Hubs and I have very different ideas about names for babies.  So far, we haven't found anything we really agree on.

The hormonal roller coaster.

Swollen feet and ankles.

Things I will miss:

That beautiful little plus sign on a pregnancy test.

The unbelievable feeling of having created life. 

The second trimester - that honeymoon period of pregnancy, when you have a cute bump and maternity clothes fit well, but you're not yet feeling swollen and whalish.  I already miss it dearly.

Daydreaming and speculating about who this little person will be.

Lilah hugging and kissing my bump, sharing her stickers with the baby by sticking them all over my belly, and attempting to feed him through my belly button.

The reassuring feeling of baby squirming and constant motion from within. (Ninja kicks aside.)

The look on the Hubs' face when he found out he was going to have a son.

Having boobs.


Feeling fat last nine months but the joy of becoming a mom lasts forever. -Nikki Dalton

19 comments:

  1. I love the last one "having boobs" lol! I remember the third trimester of my second pregnancy, I swear it was so much worse than the first! You're almost there, and I promise the end result is so worth it! Can't wait to see what your little guy will look like ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm certainly huffing and puffing a lot these days - more than I recall doing while I was pregnant with Lilah! We can't wait to meet him either. ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh, yes pregnancy does give you a lot to reflect on! There are parts of it that I miss, mostly feeling the baby moving, and than there are many things that I do not miss about it. When I was pregnant with my first I read someones blog about how at 41 weeks they felt so full of energy and alive. The day before they gave birth they swam across a lake.......

    I am not that pregnant lady. I sort of gave up the idea of doing much around 35 weeks. I hurt, things ached, the baby felt like it was falling out all the time.

    I sort of wish I was that lady who swam across the lake with ease and energy but I am SO not. Enjoy the last bits of your pregnancy. Soon it will be all boobs and baby, boobs and baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not the lake-swimming type either. And I make no bones about that. I'd love to be her, but it's just not me so I'm not gonna put that kind of pressure on myself.

      I am doing my very best to enjoy the last few weeks, since I really do plan on making this my last. Some parts are kind of hard to enjoy, but I will try!

      Delete
  3. I miss my boobies too but I sure don't miss those first weeks and the fear of miscarriage. I am so excited for your baby boy to arrive soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. But I do hope he stays in for at least a couple more weeks - we still have renos to finish! :)

      Delete
  4. Such a beautiful list. I got a little teary eyed reading it, I remember the excitement of the plus sign. I also miss the boobs, dearly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better to have a relatively flat tummy and wear push-up or padded bras, though, given the choice! :)

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry, what?! Feeling fat lasts for 9 months?? I'm into year four...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps the quote should read "feeling huge and whalish...?"

      Delete
  6. Oh my god, having boobs is awesome especially if you've barely had some all your life. And finally, someone honestly talks about the "swelling lady bits". I can so relate.

    Your good list matches mine too. It saddens me knowing I'll never feel or experience all the good things on your list again. C'est la vie, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three times constitutes a pretty good run, I'd say! :)

      Delete
  7. Aw... and wow. I learned a few things. But you're going to name the baby Lyle right? I thought we agreed on this ;-O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried, but Dave wasn't having any of it. Maybe he'll listen to you. ;)

      Delete
  8. LOL...."having boobs". so true. It seems to be the only place I have lost weight since having my third.

    great list and quote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigh. They will never quite appreciate the bodily sacrifices we make for them.

      Delete
  9. Won't ever miss that fear of miscarriage. Will always remember and miss the feeling of that little being moving inside of me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yup. I remember those things... and would group them the same way. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments: I love 'em. Tell me what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...