Friday, July 13, 2012

All of a Sudden...

All of a sudden, she has these long. lean limbs.  And when she stretches out in the bath, her length covers most of it.



All of a sudden, she has lost most of her baby fat.


All of a sudden, she uses sophisticated language, peppering her sentences with words like "actually," "because," and "almost."


All of a sudden, she can talk about what happened yesterday or what is going to happen tomorrow.


All of a sudden, she wants to dress herself, brush her own teeth, and make her own breakfast.


All of a sudden, she is a skilled negotiator.  Bargaining is her tool, and a combination of cuteness and manipulation is her currency.


All of a sudden, I'm supposed to refer to her as a "preschooler" rather than a toddler.


All of a sudden, she gets out of bed in the morning and opens her door on her own, padding down the hallway to startle me from my deep sleep.  Gone are the toddler's cries to be retrieved from her bed.


All of a sudden, she asks me questions to which I don't know the answers.

All of a sudden, she is gentle and motherly towards babies and toddlers.


All of a sudden, she is all girl.

Spying on a fairy princess

All of a sudden, I'm going to have another baby and she won't be the tiny one anymore.


14 comments:

  1. Aw so sweet! It's crazy how it seems to happen so quickly, like we wake up one day and all of a sudden they're all grown up. The nice thing about having a new baby is that it helps you to accept the growth of your first a little more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it is so true! Something happens from 2 to 3 and big changes occur. I bet when your baby arrives you will look at their tiny newborn self and think, 'wow Lilah is SO big!'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, and I'm a little afraid of that, frankly. I don't want it to change my expectations of her too much.

      Delete
  3. Beautifully put!! Having a second is bittersweet...I had to mourn the loss of "us 3" b4 I was ready for "us 4"...but it is awesome!! See u in the 'hood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melissa. Yes, I think I will definitely go through that mourning period myself.
      I'm sure we'll be seeing you at daycare pickup/dropoff too!

      Delete
  4. awwww...this is a tear jerker.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWWWW.... that is too sweet. Sounds like she will make an amazing big sister, too. You write beautifully. Happy Saturday (visiting from Saturday Sharefest!)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awe This is really sweet. Sentimental without being overly mushy. I enjoyed reading it :-)

    Stopping by from SITS Saturday Sharefest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful and sweet. I know that I've sat here and thought that my son has "all of a sudden" grown so much--where does the time go and how did I miss it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awe, beautiful post. My little one is 15 months and the transitions are coming so quickly. I love seeing her grow, yet I want to keep her little; it's bitter sweat.

    Stopping by from WOE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I remember those feelings! I didn't think my oldest would be ready for us to have another baby because...wasn't she still practically a baby? But she wasn't. I'm starting to feel all of that again, but in a different way, with my 18 month old boy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It feels like it happens "all of a sudden", doesn't it? What a big girl she is...I bet she'll make a GREAT big sister :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous16 July, 2012

    Awww. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It does seem to happen overnight! Especially when the baby arrives - the toddler suddenly looks gigantic. All long limbs and everything. *sob*

    ReplyDelete

Comments: I love 'em. Tell me what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...