Sunday, July 31, 2011

Look at Me, I'm on FIRE!

I'm thrilled to report that Sue over at Cookie's Chronicles deemed Lilahbility worthy of the Blog on Fire Award.  Thanks Sue, you're pretty hot yourself!

Along with this great honour comes an invitation to engage in one of my favourite past-times: talking about myself.  I may have used some of my best material back in February when I was given the Stylish Blogger Award, but I will do my best to come up with seven facts about myself that don't bore you to tears.  No falling asleep on my watch, you hear?

1.  I don't like coffee.  Most people look at me like I have three heads when I say that.  I am a parent, I am chronically sleep-deprived, and yet I do not rely on the bitter black stuff to keep me awake.  I got through seven years' worth of university - including the occasional all-nighter - without becoming addicted, so I figure I can live without it.  I do get by with a little help from Mr. Tetley on work days, though.  I am only human, after all.
 
2.  Guilty pleasures: The Bachelorette, Life & Style Magazine, Twitter, white wine, chips (especially All Dressed flavour), peanut butter and of course, CHOCOLATE.  (That's right, I have both a sweet tooth and a salt tooth.  What?  Why are you looking at me like that?) 

This is me winking.  It's not that bad, is it?
P.S. That's a ponytail on my head, not a rat tail.
Ew. Remind me to get my hair cut.

 3.  I think I can wink my left eye, but the Hubs says I look deranged.  Don't even bother asking me to wink my right eye - even I know I can't do that one!

4. I am a candy cruncher.  I try to be the type of person who daintily savours a mint or hard candy for hours until it is just a tiny speck, but I always end up unconsciously biting into it and before I know it, the darn thing is gone and I am reaching for a new one.  This happens even with throat lozenges.  Must. Learn.Self-restraint.

5. The Hubs calls me Hector the Corrector. It's not my fault.  It comes with the territory of being a speech therapist.  My ear is finely tuned; trained to suss out the slightest speech error and flood my brain with alarm bells and red flags.  I often have to bite my tongue to make sure I don't offend people. And sometimes even then I am unable to stop the correction from tumbling out of my mouth.  With the Hubs, I let it all hang out, which means that he is subjected to far more frequent correction than any human being should ever have to put up with.

6.  I have had several discussions with my neighbours regarding personality type and baking/cooking preferences.  We boiled it down to this: those that like to bake are generally drawn the order and exactness of it.  They like to stick to formulas and ratios and are more concrete thinkers than those that like to cook.  Those that prefer cooking enjoy being more creative in the kitchen; adding a pinch of this and a dash of that and sampling their creation throughout the process until it satisfies their taste buds.  Being the strongly left-brained person that I am, I like to follow recipes to the letter (at least until I am very comfortable with them), so baking is totally my thing.  While trying to get dinner made on a timeline in our tiny kitchen frazzles me, I usually find baking both relaxing and enjoyable.  Luckily for me, the Hubs enjoys cooking and is pretty darn good at it too!

7. I stalk other people's wedding photos on Facebook.  Even people I'm not actually friends with.  I can't help myself.  I just love weddings!  I think this penchant is partly due to a subconscious desire to re-live my own big day.  I'm hoping this semi-normal.  Any other wedding photo stalkers out there?  Don't be shy, I've already paved the way by putting myself out there - so 'fess up!

And now to pass the bloggy award love on, here are a few of my personal faves:

Schwartz Chronicles: Lisa is one of the sweetest, most supportive people you could ever hope to know, and whatever parenting issue you might be going through with your young child(ren), she's probably been through it too, so you can be sure you won't be met with judgement, but rather empathy and some good old-fashioned commiseration!

Bees With Honey:  Another absolute sweetheart, Bruna is the mother of three gorgeous girls, which makes her a seasoned veteran of parenting in my books.  She hosts one of my favourite link-ups, Let's Bee Friends Friday, and introduces her readers to a different fantastic blogger each week.
The Adventures of OBB: My friend Kate is the same age as I am and she also has a young daughter at home.  But she's dealing with far more than dirty diapers and toddler tantrums since her breast cancer diagnosis earlier this year.  Despite the subject matter, her blog is far from depressing.  It is inspiring, heart-wrenching, and beautiful all at the same time.  Highly recommended reading.

See Theo Run: Harriet shares her experiences and thoughts on open adoption and life as a mixed-race family, as well as the general ups and downs of parenting one of the cutest, most active little guys on the planet.

Absolutely Narcissism: I hesitated to even put Sandra on this list because she's already so popular, and cool, and hilarious, and pretty, and totally awesome and... no, I'm not a stalker.  (Well, not really.  Much.  But I kinda think she'd be okay with me being one anyway, since she's sort of been down that road recently herself.)

4 comments:

  1. Very cute post and you really are on FIRE! You're a blogging machine. Not only did I learn a lot about you (what! no coffee!? perhaps that explains your calm demeanour) but you've explained why I'm so uncomfortable baking ;) Oh and thanks for the award!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the award. I am blushing with all those nice things you said about me. I completely agree with your take on baker vs. cooker. I am a total baker and a total recipe follower. I will admit it, I love wedding pictures too. I can't help myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such great responses! I also have a salty/sweet tooth! I love wedding pictures too, it makes me want to put on my dress all over again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Nice to get to know you better! I love the end result of baking...what does that say about me? I love sweets, that is all ;)

    ReplyDelete

Comments: I love 'em. Tell me what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...