Because I myself was such a haughty little thing during this phase, I absolutely dread the day when Lilah begins to adopt a similar attitude. I know it is a long way down the road, since she's only just two, but I keep wishing there was a way to bypass this stage altogether. Since that is most likely completely impossible, I will settle for writing down some things I want her to know about me as she becomes a young woman. My hope is that knowing these things might narrow the gap between us:
- No matter what you do, or who you choose to be, I will always love you.
- I am a person with feelings, and being pleasant will get you a whole lot further than being a jerk.
- I was considered cool, hip, and semi-fashionable at one time in my life.
- I want to be your friend, but my job is to be your mother. You will understand this when you become a mother yourself.
- Because I pushed your enormous head out of my lady business, my hips will never be as narrow as they once were. I sacrificed more than one pair of pants for you, young lady!
- I will flounder, and I will make mistakes. I will try to admit when I am wrong and apologize for my mistakes. (But do know that you don't need to point out every little error...)
- I'm actually a ninja. Do not attempt to break the rules I set out for you.
- There was a time when your world revolved around me; when there was no one cooler than me; when you were hurt or upset and only Mama would do; when you thought I was all-powerful, all-knowing.
- In being born, you gave me the greatest gift I could ever receive. You made me a mother. Words simply cannot express how grateful I am that the stars aligned the way they did; that you were the tiny soul chosen to join our family. It simply couldn't have happened any other way.