Friday, July 1, 2011

Colour Me Canadian

Yes, that's right, I spell colour with a 'u.' I have experimented with omitting it to try to fit in with my online  friends South of the border, but it just felt like a betrayal to this great country in which I live.  I am a proud Canadian, and I cannot hide my love of a good, extraneous 'u.'  Also, why write a check when you can write a cheque?  Words are more fun when you add q's and u's, I always say.

But back to colour.  Specifically, the colours red and white.  Today, we flew these colours with an extra large dose of pride, for today is Canada's 144th birthday.

Lilah gets her patriot on.

Lilah and Addie dance to the music at the Granville Island Canada Day party.
For us, Canada Day is synonymous with family.  Every year without fail (with the exception of two years ago when I was in labour with Lilah), we pack up our car and drive out to the 'burbs to spend the afternoon and evening celebrating with the Hubs' large extended family.  There is a slight irony to this fact since a good portion of his family members are of British origin.  But perhaps that is precisely why we celebrate Canada with such fierce pride on this day.  We all - recent immigrants, first generation Canadians, and too-many-generations-to-count Canadians like myself - recognize, revere, and celebrate the things that make Canada so special.  Or maybe I'm overthinking it.  Maybe it's just a good day to get everyone together because it's a statutory holiday.  But with each passing year, I get more and more sentimental, both about being Canadian and about family.

Cousins and grandparents.  Really, is there anything better than family?

And of course, no family gathering would be complete without ridiculous amounts of decadent food.

Just one of the many desserts I indulged in today.
Happy birthday to a very special little (big!) country.  And here's to many more!

9 comments:

  1. Good for you, you really do go all out on Canada Day! Your little girl is a lifesized doll!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lilah looks great in red and white. They're really her colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found you at the tea party! I wish I could pull off throwing in some extraneous "u"s and "q"s!! American english can be so boring :) Happy Canada Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Canada Day! Your daughter is absolutely gorgeous!! Stopping by from LBS too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous02 July, 2011

    Ohhhh! I love it! I have grown up with the BE-spelling (don't know if you'd called it that, but that's what it's called officially when you learn English in German schools) and I'm always delighted to see people using the "longer" form of words, like the examples you have given.
    - Besides the spelling... I love your pictures and your little canadian-flagged cakes look especially delicious!
    Stopping by from the LBS, by the way. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Canada Day! Loved seeing how your family celebrated. I'm visiting from the Lady Bloggers Tea Party. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post - great family pics! Happy (belated) Canada Day! Keep up the U's! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these photos! I also have to agree words aqure qumore fun with qumore q's and u's! :D

    Seriously. How could "check" compete with "cheque"?

    ReplyDelete
  9. that pic of Lilah might be my new favorite..she looks so absolutely gorgeous....happy canada day!

    ReplyDelete

Comments: I love 'em. Tell me what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...