I am both honoured and excited to share today's guest post with you. Lisa is not only the brains, voice, and typing fingers behind one of my favourite blogs, Schwartz Chronicles, she is also a personal friend and an all-around supportive, positive person. Lisa and I go way back - before kids and even before marriage, to the days when we overshared in the bar after too many drinks instead of oversharing on the internet. (That's right, the pre-blogging days!) I always enjoy reading Lisa's take on motherhood, and I knew when I asked her that she would offer a fresh perspective on becoming a mommy of two. The post below did not disapoint!
I was thrilled when Amanda asked me to write a guest post about making the transition from being the mother of one to being the mother to two. So many thoughts ran through my head. I had ideas. I had pieces of advice. I had snippets of memories of things I had forgotten. One thing I remember clearly, as if it happened yesterday, was waking up one morning not too far into being a mother to two and thinking, Oh my, I forgot how little sleep you get. There may have been an f-bomb at the beginning of that thought. But in the whole scheme of things, the lack of sleep doesn’t last long and is worth it because there is nothing quite like that newborn smell and those special snuggles shared in the quiet of the night.
Shamelessly stolen from Jeff Foxworthy’s, “You might be a redneck,” You might the be the mother of two if……
1. You might be the mother of two if the sound of a child crying doesn’t quite rattle you the same as it did when you had one.
2. You might be the mother of two if going to the grocery store by yourself ranks right up there with a visit to the spa.
3. You might be the mother of two if getting both kids to nap at the same time feels like a victory worthy of a gold medal.
4. You might be the mother of two if you stretch the truth about the age of your youngest child to make a family outing more affordable (i.e. Disney Character Breakfast. Does it make it o.k. if he was two when we made the reservation?).
5. You might be the mother of two if your oven timer has become a turn taking timer and you almost forget what the timer was meant to do.
6. You might be the mother of two if taking care of one child feels like a break.
7. You might be the mother of two if you often utter the phrase, “Could the two of you stop tormenting each other.”
8. You might be the mother of two if the kids have been asleep for hours, Treehouse is still on and you don’t even notice.
9. You might be the mother of two if you can’t remember the last time you closed the door to use the bathroom or went to the bathroom alone.
10. You might be the mother of two if at the end of the day a hug, a kiss and a snuggle fills your heart with love and makes it all worth while.
I can’t wait to meet the newest addition to the Lilahbility family. Do you have any “you might be the mother of two” one liners to add?
Go stop by Schwartz Chronicles and see what Lisa and family have been up to this summer and while you're there, you can check out Captain Canada's wonderful photos of their amazing adventures.