I am a word nerd, through and through. I don't have a problem admitting that. And it must go with the territory of being a speech therapist, if my colleagues are any indication. But how do you know if you are similarly afflicted? Read on. (It takes one to know one.)
10 Signs You Might Be a Word Nerd
1. Your iPhone battery dies a lot more quickly now that you have ten Words With Friends games on the go at any given time.
2. You write love letters to your sweetie in IPA. That's International Phonetic Alphabet those of you who don't consider yourselves word nerds. (Yes, I did this, and yes, he figured it out - which is why he is now the Hubs/Babydaddy/Captain Awesome.)
3. You feel a slight wave of nausea come over you when people say things like "supposably," "disorientated," and "irregardless."
4. You own every word game known to man. Scrabble and Boggle are just the teeniest tip of the iceberg.
5. You root for Bachelor contestants based on their pronunciation and grammar, and cringed every time Bachelorette Ashley talked about "moving fo-ward." Every. Single. Time. Which was a lot, because that seemed to be her catch phrase for the entire season.
6. You post long, ranting Facebook status updates about the apostrophe epidemic and the rampant misuse of pronouns. (Subject vs. object, people, subject vs. object!)
7. You record and transcribe some your child's most adorable speech sound errors. You know, just for posterity.
8. You orchestrate situations and make up excuses to use a new word you have recently learned.
9. You think it's cute to go around telling people you are a "Cunning Linguist."
10. If you realize you have used the wrong word or made a typo in a blog post, you will stop at nothing to fix it, including waking from a deep sleep and jumping out of bed at 2 a.m. just to hit the edit button.
Now go visit the Listmaster to read why you
should or shouldn't attend your class reunion!