July presented some challenges to our aspirations of becoming greener. First, we bought a kit to convert our standard toilets to dual-flush and then discovered that we'd need an additional attachment since our toilets are on the older side. All told, it would have put us out a couple hundred dollars, and considering that we are hoping to move from our little apartment to a house in the next six months to a year, we didn't think spending that much money was warranted. Especially since a small part of the impetus behind going green was also saving some green! Maybe once we have saved up some cash with all this green-ness, we'll invest in some more expensive projects.
Next, after several weeks of using our home-made laundry detergent with no problems, we had a bit of a washer debaucle. Water started spewing out of the detergent drawer. Word to the wise: break up the clumps in your home-made liquid laundry detergent as small as you can get them. Otherwise, they will clog the hole where the water rushes in and you will end up with water-logged floorboards!
Okay, enough with the negativity. After casting around for a project to tackle in July, we finally settled on... (drumroll, please)...