Thursday, April 15, 2010

Poop Inspector

Since the day Lilah was born, I have relied on her poops as the best measuring stick of her digestive health. And if you're just tuning in, or have somehow managed to miss my near-constant griping about reflux and constipation, Lilah has had a whole host of digestive issues. So is it really all that surprising that I feel compelled to inspect every poop? I hold her dirty diapers up under the light, examining each specimen for colour, shape, size, and consistency. The Hubs seems to think this behaviour is quite abnormal, but ten bucks says there are other mommies out there who do the same.

Despite the teasing and face-making, the Hubs indulges this proclivity of mine by calling me over to examine a fresh dump, and sometimes even saving a dirty diaper for me if I'm not immediately available to perform the inspection. At the very least, I expect a full, detailed report on poops I am not witness to. Occasionally, differences in poop terminology result in heated debates. The Hubs recently included the word "foliage" in a poop report, causing much confusion on my part. I'm still puzzling over that one - what do leaves have to do with my daughter's faecal matter?

I know that I can't possibly be the only Poop Inspector out there because, at a recent visit to the pediatrician, I was shown an entire chart dedicated to describing the shape and consistency of baby poop. Whoever came up with the chart was almost as thorough an inspector as I am! So, c'mon, fess up, who's with me?

5 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda, I looked for your email address, but couldn't find it, so figured I'd just post a response here. Thanks for reading our eandedownunder blog. I too come accross other blogs and have a laugh and share in the joy of what people are writing. When I asked my hubby to define the focus of our blog...he had no answer. Sometimes we write about life abroad and sometimes about raising a toddler...it's a bit all over the shop!
    I thought I'd send you the link to another blog that I read...http://oscarelli.blogspot.com/
    I don't know her personally, but she's hilarious and writes about life at home with her toddler and 1 year old boys. It's madness. You may be interested that she also wrote an entire posting dedicated to poop inspecting. It was some time back but would be worth looking for. You may be surprised and grossed out beyond belief at what your child thinks is food.
    Cannot personally say that I inspect - it may have been her entry on this topic that prevented me from looking.
    It does not go unnoticed, however, what my daughter has eaten at childcare. My husband and I often declare, "Hey, looks like they had that 4 Bean Salad again for lunch!"

    EEEEEWWWWW.

    Cheers,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do NOT inspect any more than absolutely necessary!! But some things do seem to go in one end and out the other entirely unaffected by the digestive process. H. picked mushrooms off his pizza to feed to her and now he knows that if he tries it again I can provide irrefutable evidence of his misbehavior.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry A - this time im not with you.. though i am thoroughly entertained watchhing the faces my little guy makes when pushing out a poo... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with you on this!! I am a full on inspector.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yay! A fellow Poop Inspector finally came forward to back me up on this! I was starting to think I might be the only one...

    ReplyDelete

Comments: I love 'em. Tell me what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...